The Work of We

Main Thought

The Bible uses different analogies to describe who we’re meant to be and what we’re called to do as God’s people. The Bible calls us a Body. In this analogy, people within God’s body are likened to different body parts. We each bring unique value, and we need the unique value and perspective of others. This is a powerful example that emphasizes individual uniqueness. The Bible also refers to us as a Building. In this analogy, we’re compared to stones that make up a strong building. The stones essentially serve the same purpose and function. In a similar way, God calls us to do some things that every Christian is supposed to do. This includes prayer, reading His Word, evangelism, serving others, giving, and more. The emphasis here is placed on unity and uniformity. These powerful images compliment each other. They communicate that there’s a place and a purpose for us among the people of God. We can become aware of what we’re able to bring to God and His people when we consider the unique things we can do, and the uniform things we can do that are common to all of God’s people.

Main Passages

14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

- 1 Corinthians 12:14-19

4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, 5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

- 1 Peter 2:4-6

9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

- 1 Peter 2:9

Discussion Questions

1. What stands out to you in the Main Thought or Main Passages above?

2. Have you been blessed by another believer’s actions recently? If so, how?

3. Consider the unique and uniform contributions we can make to God and other people.

1. What can you do that’s unique to you?

2. What can you do that every Christian is supposed to do?