The Faith of We

Main Thought

James made an important statement on faith in his letter to early Jewish Christians. “Faith without works is dead.” Does this mean that we need to add our own good works to the work that Jesus completed on the Cross in order to be saved? No! Rather, James is essentially saying this: “Genuine faith is always accompanied by good works.” Faith should cause good works. So, if we believe in God, we should behave like it. When we do, our faith and good works can grow in strength and impact over time. 

Main Passages

14 Can that [kind of] faith save him? [No, a mere claim of faith is not sufficient—genuine faith produces good works.] 

- James 2:14, Amplified

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. 

- Ephesians 2:8-10

18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 

- James 2:18

Discussion Questions

1. What stands out to you in the Main Thought or the Main Passages above?

2. Do you feel that your actions adequately reflect your faith in God? Why or why not?

3. What’s one challenging thing you can do in order to better behave in alignment with your belief in God?

1. If you are someone who is still investigating or exploring belief in God, who is someone you can talk to in order to find out more?