I'd Walk 1,000 Miles

Main Thought

Everyone knows that Christians are supposed to trust God. Trusting God means that we rely on Him and live with the assumption that God is good. Still, it can be hard to trust God. We can’t see Him. There will be moments in which we don’t personally perceive God’s presence or goodness. We might not understand what He’s doing, or why He’s allowing certain things. How are we supposed to trust God in spite of all of this? We can trust in a God that we can’t see because we’ve seen His goodness before! Many of us have had our prayers answered and our lives touched. All of us can look to the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ as the ultimate proof of God’s goodness. When we’re reminded of God’s goodness and inspired to trust Him, we can respond in faith by “saying yes to the next step.” We can take one practical step of faith and obedience at a time. If we’ll continue to walk with God, then we’ll eventually see more and more of God’s goodness along the way.

Main Passages

Abraham was now very old, and the Lord had blessed him in every way. 2 He said to the senior servant in his household, the one in charge of all that he had, “Put your hand under my thigh. 3 I want you to swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and the God of earth, that you will not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I am living, 4 but will go to my country and my own relatives and get a wife for my son Isaac.” 5 The servant asked him, “What if the woman is unwilling to come back with me to this land? Shall I then take your son back to the country you came from?”

- Genesis 24:1-5

58 So they called Rebekah and asked her, “Will you go with this man?” “I will go,” she said.

- Genesis 24:58

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

- Proverbs 3:5-6

Discussion Questions

1. What stands out to you in the Main Thought and Passages above?

2. Why is the life, death, and resurrection (or the gospel/good news) of Jesus Christ the ultimate proof of God’s goodness?

3. What’s one practical step of trust and obedience you can take toward something God might be calling you to do? (It can be in your faith, your relationships, your career, your family, etc.)