Wrestling with God

Main Thought

Jacob went on a journey from brokenness to betterment. His family of origin was marked by a mix of good things like seeking God, along with bad things like deception, manipulation, bitterness, conditional love, and more. Jacob’s actions heavily contributed to brokenness in his family. But God called Jacob to experience His goodness and blessing anyway. This was a demonstration of God’s grace, expressed in this moment as God’s undeserved favor toward us. Still, Jacob needed to grow before he could fully inherit God’s good promises. How did God help him grow? By wrestling with him. God appeared to Jacob in the midst of his struggle, and engaged him in a way that gave Jacob an opportunity to grow. God often does the same with us. He allows us to struggle, to wrestle, so that we can grow. If we’ll try our best (even in the worst circumstances), cry out to Him, and hold on, then we’ll become better versions of ourselves. We’ll develop a deeper trust in God and we’ll be prepared for destiny in Him.

Main Passages

“He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time…”

- ‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭1:9

13 …“I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. 14 Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring. 15 I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

- Genesis 28:13-15

24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.” But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”

- Genesis 32:24-26

Discussion Questions

1. What stands out to you in the Main Thought or Main Passages above?

2. What’s one good habit or mindset you learned from your family? What’s one bad habit or mindset you learned from your family?

3. Is there a situation in your life right now in which God might be allowing you to “wrestle?” How might you be able to grow through that situation?