The Stewardship of We

Main Thought

God has given us so much. He’s given us life, time, relationships, talent, finances, and more. What will we do with the things God has given us? That question lies at the heart of stewardship. We become good stewards when we remember that everything comes from, and belongs to, God. If we see God’s sovereignty and ownership in all things, then we’ll see that it’s important to embrace our responsibility. We’ll live knowing that we’ll eventually give an account to God for the way we stewarded His gifts and opportunities. This shouldn’t be a reason for believers to live in fear. It should be a reason for believers to live in faith. We can expect God’s reward for faithful stewardship. He often rewards us on the earth; and, even when He doesn’t, He will recognize us and reward us in eternity.

Main Passages

The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it;

- Psalm 24:1

14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them.

- Matthew 25:14-19

20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’

- Matthew 25:20-23

Discussion Questions

1. What stands out to you in the Main Thought and Passages above?

2. Why do you think God entrusts us with our lives, opportunities, talents, finances, and more?

3. What’s one thing you can steward better (more intentionally, more consistently, more sacrificially, etc.) with honoring God in mind?