Divine Detours

Main Thought

God brought the people of Israel on a journey. He rescued them from slavery in Egypt, and wanted to bring them into His Promised Land. Yet many of the Israelites failed to enter the Promised Land. They died in the wilderness instead. Why? Their location might have changed, but they didn’t change.

If we want to inherit the good plans and purposes that God has for us, then we need to recognize our need for transformation. God often uses “divine detours” - unexpected changes or interruptions - to expose our flaws. This happens because God cares more about our development than our destination. We should therefore embrace the process of sanctification as God helps us grow to become more like Jesus. 

Main Passages

When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, “Come, make us gods who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.” 2 Aaron answered them, “Take off the gold earrings that your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me.” 3 So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. 4 He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.”

- Exodus 32:1-4 NIV

7 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.’ 9 “I have seen these people,” the Lord said to Moses, “and they are a stiff-necked people.

- Exodus 32:7-9 NIV

Discussion Questions

1. What stands out to you in the Main Thought or Main Passages above?

2. Why is it important for God change us, or sanctify us, before we move forward into His promises and plans?

3. How is God helping you become more like Jesus in this season of your life?