Trust in the Lord: More than a Motto

Main Thought

“Trusting God” should be more than just a motto or a cliché. Trusting God is a defining characteristic of the Christian life. God’s absolute power and love should give us the assurance we need to trust Him absolutely. Wisdom outside of God is limited, but God knows what’s around each corner. He sees the future that we can’t see. We should trust Him by moving forward through life as He leads us. Trusting God doesn’t result in us sitting around, doing nothing. Trusting God moves us to passionately and proactively walk by faith. Clarity and assurance come when we do.

Main Passages

1 My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, 2 for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity. 3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.

- Proverbs 3:1-4

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. 8 This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. 9 Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; 10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.

- Proverbs 3:5-10

The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.

- Psalm 28:7

Discussion Questions

1. What are some common misconceptions people have about what it means to trust in God?

2. Name one or two things that inspire you to trust in God.

3. What’s one thing you can do to trust God and walk by faith this week?